Wednesday, October 9, 2013

We are a picture of Jesus

Tonight I had the wonderful pleasure of turning over the "floor" of my youth meeting to two wonderful and very brave youth!  Titus and Adam ...
Titus 


Adam 

We all listened as these two told us their story.  Stories of abandonment and abuse .. of hopelessness and helplessness .. life in an orphanage.  To quote Adam .. its not a place you ever want to go.  At times having to stop to regain composure .. fighting back tears they told of their journey to faith and family.  I would gladly recount their stories (but one day I hope you can hear them tell it) ... I would not do them justice and that is not the point I am trying to bring up here.  I ask both boys if they had ever heard about Jesus before and they both said yes.  In the orphanage there was an "Auntie" who cared for them who professed Christianity.  She was brutal to the kids in her care.  Beatings at her hand were so common that Adam said he had decided God was his enemy.  Titus agreed that she was merciless in her treatment of her charges.  She was the only Jesus they had ever met.   

Well now here is the question that captivates my thoughts tonight ... If I were the only Christian a person had ever known what would they think about God?  What picture do I paint?  Would he be loving and caring .. careful to treat everyone with dignity?  Would He be viewed as confrontational and self-absorbed or full of grace?

How about you?  

How about any of us?

What does the world think of God because of us.  I hope I am being a good picture!!

This song by Ben Harper has been resonating in my heart ... here are the lyrics to the last verse:  

Some days have no beginning and some days have no end
Some roads are straight and narrow and some roads only bend
So let us say a prayer for every living thing
Walking towards a light from the cross of a King

We long to be a picture of Jesus, of Jesus in his arms, in his arms
So many prayers rest
I long to be a picture of Jesus with him we shall be forever blessed
With him we shall, with him we shall be forever blessed
Oh I long, I've got a picture of Jesus

(you can listen here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8n-avQ5dg



(in closing) I am reminded of a quote on an old DC Talk album ... "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle."  Brennan Manning



2 comments:

  1. Titus and Adam's testimonies had a great effect on Hunter and Wyatt. It's awesome what our God can do to change lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jill it impacted all of us!! I kept thinking .. what if that lady actually did what God's word said about loving the widows and the orphans .. or what He said about what is done to the least of these is done to Him .. what hope that place would have had!!

      Delete